Simon leads the team, helping clients to make better-informed business decisions, offering advice and working to resolve their problems – from answering routine contractual questions to co-ordinating major incidents. Much of his work has been with operators in the tug and offshore support sectors, which are his particular passion.
Pooling his experience with other senior members of the legal profession, he has created a legal service that focuses exclusively on the tug and offshore support vessel sectors – TugAdvise.
The work includes LOF and SCOPIC, TOWCON, TOWHIRE, UKSCT ’86, BARGEHIRE, SUPPLYTIME, WRECKHIRE, WRECKSTAGE and WRECKFIXED for contractors, hirers and insurers.
Simon presents BIMCO’s Masterclasses on towage, salvage and wreck removal.
Plaudits from clients include:
“Even if an accident like this is very much undesired, it is a true pleasure to be supported by such dedicated competence, available when needed, during the entire process.”
“Your skillful handling of Members’ expectations and a notoriously difficult opponent led to a realistic solution and is much appreciated by the Club. Look forward to working with you again soon.”
His varied workload covers matters such as:
- Towage contracts
- Barge, semi-submersible and heavy-lift
- Salvage – from fishing vessels and yachts to large tankers and container ships
- ISU subcontracts
- Apportionment of salvage awards for crew
- Wreck removal contract negotiation
- Fires, collisions, allisions and groundings
- Safe port disputes
- Charterparty terminations
- Marine insurance coverage
- Knock-for-knock clause disputes
- Limitation of liability
- Cross-border litigation and forum shopping
- Ship arrests and attachments